In POE, understanding your character classes and passive skill trees alone will not ascend you to the higher tiers of Ranked play.
You will need to master other elements of the game, to fully realize your in-game character’s potential across the board.
If you are still learning through the ropes of the game, here are another few advices for you to consider early on in your journeys:
INTRODUCTARY TIPS (PART 2, continued from PART 1)
3. Decking out your characters with the proper Skill Gems
· Unlike other Diablo-esque games today, POE utilizes a different skill mechanic which allows near-limitless build options to diversify your characters in the game – Skill Gem slots.
· In POE, the Skill Gems which you put into your weapon or gear slots dictate the abilities that your characters use in-game.
· For instance:
o Your wish to equip the skill Chain Hook to allow your Marauder to pull himself/ herself to the designated enemy target, dealing damage and allowing a brief temporary attack speed buff as well.
o Installing the Chain Hook Skill Gem into your main-hand weapon or equipment gear slot will instantly allow your character to use the skill in-game (depending on your character’s level requirement).
· This feature allows you freedom to choose whatever playstyle you enjoy the most, whether you wish to utilize skills to get up close and personal with monsters, or get yourself some distance while bombarding the enemies with constant barrages of spells and projectile attacks.
· Generally, the maximum number of gem slots can be denoted according to the table below, although the game uses a randomized loot mechanic (your number of gem slots may be lower) to differentiate each player’s in-game experiences:
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF GEM SLOTS
Chest Piece (Armour)
· Following on this rule, your gear level requirements also play a role in limiting the number of gem sockets available.
· This limitation is no doubt a factor to push players to level up in the game, prompting better gameplay options the more levels you grind for.
· The table below further shows this, that the lower level you are, the less number gem sockets that your items will be capable of handling:
MINIMUM ITEM LEVEL
With all these newfound beginner’s tips on hand, you will undoubtedly need to experiment with the game yourself to truly get used to the Skill Gem features.
Next up, we will be looking into linking Skill Gems together to create more powerful effects and spells around the battlefield, so stay tuned for more!
If you want more POE orb and information, go and check out poefun!